Know your Benefits: Are you relocating?
If you are being posted this year and eager to start your move, you have plenty of help.
You can have peace of mind knowing that you have the best relocation package in government. Whether this is your first or fifteenth move, it could range from simple to complex depending on your personal circumstances. You’ll have many things to consider and decide on when moving to a new location. Here are some key things to consider to help make your transition as smooth as possible.
Taking your first steps
- Read your posting instructions – Paragraph 5 covers critical information for initiating your relocation process.
- Pre-register – You must wait two days after receiving your instructions for your Brookfield Global Relocation Service (BGRS) file to be created.
- Register – You must complete this within 21 days of receiving your instructions by following the steps emailed from BGRS upon pre-registration.
- Book your planning session – A BGRS agent will contact you to book your first session.
Preparing for your planning session
- List your questions on your relocation process, requirements, and entitlements.
- Wait to enter into contracts until after you’ve met with your BGRS agent and discussed your maximum pre-negotiated rates/fees. These include contracts with:
- Real Estate Agents;
- Home Inspectors;
- Lawyers/Notaries; and
- Rental Search Agents.
- Read the Tax Smart section in “It’s Your Move”. Your objective is to minimize payable taxes and maximize after-tax benefits.
- Review the Canadian Forces Integrated Relocation Program (CF IRP) Directive.
- Review the General Relocation Information Package (GRIP) , provided by BGRS within two days of registering.
Simplifying the process
- Group your move into small manageable tasks;
- Use all your available resources;
- Follow policy and avoid delays or out-of-pocket expenses; and
- Ask for assistance when needed.
Your BGRS representative and your CF IRP Coordinators can provide all the tools and guidance regarding relocation policy and entitlements. Check out the resources below for more information to help you plan a smooth and successful relocation. Before you know it, you’ll be settled in to your new surroundings.
CF IRP Policies & Directives: www.irp-pri.com/policies_directives/cf_members/
It’s Your Move Guide: www.irp-pri.com/docs/english/IYM_PUB_25FEB2016.pdf
- Date modified: