Counselling service helps children transition to new schools

The back view of a child wearing a back pack walking hand-in-hand with an adult woman.
Canadian Armed Forces families can now access guidance counsellors, to further support the education of their children as they get posted from province to province or out-of-country.


Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) families can now access guidance counsellors to support the education of their children as they move from province to province, or out of country.

Through the Children’s Education Management program, guidance counsellors are now on hand to help children transition from one school year to the next, or from one posting to the next. This counselling service offers families information, insight and advice on educational options available to children. Guidance counsellors can assist with the interpretation of one curriculum versus another and explain credit requirements, deficiencies and equivalents. They can also recommend distance learning courses as a solution in meeting academic requirements.

Children’s Education Management, managed by Military Family Services under Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services, has been managing the educational needs of children of CAF families since 1947.

Children’s Education Management programs and services are designed to mitigate potential negative impacts on schooling due to geographical moves. If preparing for a posting out of province or out of country, assistance in understanding which credits are required and which are transferable is now available and accessible to all military families.

The Children’s Education Management Guidance Counsellors can be reached by phone or email. All contact information is posted in the Contact Us page.

For more information on education allowances, such as tutoring, board and lodging, and tuition, available for military families posted out-of-province or out-of-country, visit the Children’s Education Management webpage.

Date modified: