77 Line Regiment climbing into the history books
Tags: Regional Round Up
By Lieutenant-Colonel Scott Gillingham, Commanding Officer, 77 Line Regiment
The first gathering of the members of 77 Line Regiment since it was established in 2016 was held in September 2018 at Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Kingston.
A training exercise brought members of the Regiment together from all across Canada. The week ended with the inaugural Regimental Parade under the review of Deputy Vice Chief of Defence, Major General Frances Allen. Not only was it the first time in 21 years an independent line unit paraded, it also marked the largest formed parade of linemen in the history of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).
77 Line Regiment is the first and only line regiment in the history of the CAF. It was established as a regular force unit under 7 Communication Group with a presence on 27 bases across the country, gathering all tower and cable infrastructure tasks under a single entity.
The members of the unit often work behind the scenes with a focus on maintenance, installation and removal of cable and antenna systems.
The Regimental Headquarters is located in Kingston, Ontario, and is responsible for the direction and guidance to five subordinate squadrons.
- 1 Line Squadron, rich in history with the Communications and Electronics branch is also based in CFB Kingston. Their scope and scale of tasks is far reaching, and includes antenna projects across the country.
- 2 Line Squadron Headquarters is based in St. Jean sur Richelieu and is responsible for the Quebec and National Capital Region (NCR).
- 3 Line Squadron Headquarters is based in Edmonton, Alberta and is responsible for Western Canada and reaches as far North as Yellowknife.
- 4 Line Squadron Headquarters is located in Petawawa, Ontario and is responsible for the whole of Ontario less the NCR.
- 5 Line Squadron Headquarters is located in Halifax and is responsible for Atlantic Canada.
77 Line Regiment is, and will continue to be the centre of gravity for line technicians within the CAF and also the largest force generator of line capability. This has allowed the unit to grow strong and steady with an operational focus and support to many expeditionary operations.
Our members are expertly skilled, combat capable, highly motivated and professional soldiers. Wherever the work is needed our members will be there to ensure the radar systems are functional, the networks are operational, enabling land, sea and air operations.
Copies of the Regiment’s quarterly newsletter, The Cable, can be found on all bases and wings across the country relating the personal experiences of the amazing women and men of the 77 Line Regiment.
- Date modified: